The SEO industry is growing even bigger. In a time of general malaise about the economy, this industry is developing rapidly, and the good times look like it set to continue. This is great news for any SEO business looking to expand along with companies’ search marketing budgets, as there are plenty of work to be done. There is so much, in fact, that most SEO departments, consultancies and agencies are looking to hire new employees to keep up with the demand. This does raise the question, however, of what to look for when hiring new SEOs.
Some wanted SEO expert, and some preferred all-rounders. Some liked to build the new employee’s knowledge almost from scratch, while others were looking for people with solid knowledge of the industry. Still, time and again the same qualities popped up.
The ideal SEO specialist should:
- Be smart.
- Be motivated to learn — even off the clock.
- Be a problem solver.
- Maintain their own site in their off-time.
- Be both logical and creative.
- Be an excellent communicator who is able to build relationships.
- Have a passion for technology and the internet.
- Be willing to try new things.
- Constantly push to improve themselves, their approach to SEO problems, and others.
At the end of the day, few of these qualities have much to do with HTML or information architecture. Instead, they seem to focus on personality traits like leadership, tenacity, curiosity, and self-motivation.
The next time you find yourself searching for the ideal SEO spot, just remember that the ideal SEO specialist is someone with the right personality. The technical know-how can be taught.